“We are the medicine for one another.”
Elder Gerry Oleman
Marla Klyne Kolomaya
COUNSELOR & PARENT CONSULTANT
NEUFELD INSTITUTE FACULTY
Marla Klyne Kolomaya is a certified counselor and parent consultant offering services for families struggling with making sense of often perplexing behaviours commonly seen in children and adolescents. Marla specializes in providing consulting and professional development for parents, educators and helping professionals who are yearning to make sense of the kids in their care.
After spending several years as a counselor within the education system, relishing in supporting students and their families with a developmental-relational model of building relationships, Marla made the decision to transition into private practice while completing an internship with Dr. Gordon Neufeld – a foremost authority on child development and a leading interpreter of the developmental paradigm.
Marla now serves on the faculty of the Neufeld Institute and has returned to her roots, supporting families within community through the Gathering Our Medicine model, and it is a most natural fit. She is eternally grateful to Dr. Gordon Neufeld and Denise Findlay for their teachings and wisdom. Marla approaches her consulting and teaching work rooted in the understanding that every child and adolescent has a unique capacity to flourish and reach their full potential when the conditions for this unfolding are provided for and supported.
Marla proudly descends from both French and English Metis ancestry and lives in the beautiful northern Interlake of Manitoba on a small cattle ranch. Her most treasured roles are partner to her husband Scott, Auntie to her nieces, nephews, and godchildren, as well as daughter, sister, & friend.
Marla shares insight and hope around the issues of …
- Anxiety and Alarm based problems (phobias, obsessions, compulsions, self-harm)
- Children, adolescents & emotional development
- Emotional health
- Issues related to oppositionality, discipline and consequences.
- The necessary conditions for learning & curiosity
- Resilience and the conditions that support healing
- Making sense of adolescence
- Understanding the role of shyness in healthy development
- Challenging issues in raising and caring for children & adolescents
- Youth who are struggling within the school system
- Peer orientation
- Creating a culture of caring within organizations
Contact Marla for more information on consulting services, small group support, presentations, and professional development.